Re: ssh is refusing connections

Did you by chance reinstall ssh on the machine you're connecting from or do anything to change its key?  If
something happenned to that box's key, then the box you're trying to connect to sees that that box has a
different key and denies you from the get-go.  It's for anti-IP-spoofing.  Try ssh-ing from the "server" to your
portable.  If the key has changed, you will get an error message.  Find out where ssh holds its key database
(can't remember right off the top of my head) and kill off the entry for that machine.  It should work then.

--Mike

halfdan@halfdan.dyndns.org wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 30, 2000 at 09:21:34PM +0100, Andre Berger wrote:
> > Aaron Brashears <gila@gila.org> writes:
> >
> > > I've been running my server for 89 days now, on potato for the whole
> > > time. It's been quite stable and happy for a while now. However,
> > > without an update to either the server or my portable machine, ssh
> > > began refusing connections all of a sudden. 'Garrison' is the
> > > machine's local name, as listed in my /etc/hosts. Here's what's
> > > happening:
> > >
> > > $ ssh garrison
> > > secure connection to garrison refused
> > > $
> > >
> > > Earlier in the day, this worked fine. I then ssh'd over to a friend's
> > > server, and can ssh from there to my server.
> > >
> > > Any help or ideas?
> I had the same problem recently too, and it disapeared by installing a new sshd on my machine (1.2.3 > 2.x.x).
>
> Hope this helps
>
> --
>
> Best Regards / Venlig Hilsen
>         Rasmus Toftdahl Olesen
>          0032rto@but.auc.dk
>          http://halfdan.dyndns.org
>
> --

"I was on a Boston to New York shuttle flight that gets stuck on the runway for 3 hours
with no explanation. Worse, I'm sitting in front of three idiot consultants from Razorfish
who spend the whole time talking loudly and incessantly. Remarkably, not one word of it
resembled any productive activity in the slightest. 'So, I conducted a series of group
discussion sessions to quantify how they establish their procedures.' 'But, Bianca, how
did you formulate the framework for evaluating their paradigms?'
        My favorite line - Bianca is irate because a client asked her for some concrete
bit of information: 'Can you believe that? Hello? I'm an Information Architect, not a
Knowledge Engineer!'" --dump() on slashdot