Re: What to install for Gnome?

Gyulai Mihaly <gyulai@linuxfan.com> writes:

> I wish to install Gnome, but I don't know what packages are needed...
> What is the basic package that always needed for Gnome, and with what
> command can I start Gnome?

There are two versions of GNOME packages:

1) the Debian GNOME packages, packed by the Debian developers. GNOME
   is part of Debian, but the packages on Potato are quite old (they
   are 1.0.x). The ones in Woody are afaik uptodate. So, if you run
   woody..

2) the Helix GNOME packages. These are packed by the Helix Code team,
   see http://www.helixcode.com/ for more information. They are
   uptodate and should run fine on Potato and Woody.

If you want to install Debian GNOME, the package is called
`task-gnome-desktop'. This is a so called `meta package', that means,
it depends on the other, the real, GNOME packages. There are also
other task-gnome-* packages...

If you want to install Helix GNOME, the packages is called
`task-helix-core' for the basic desktop. Make sure, you have the
Helix GNOME entry in your sources.list:

deb ftp://spidermonkey.helixcode.com/distributions/debian unstable main

> Do I need to do some file-editing before starting it?

You shouldn't.

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>