Re: cdrecord doesn't recognize my cd (re-)writer

On Sun, 29 Oct 2000, mike wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 06:40:04 +0800, csj@mindgate.net said:
>
> > I read somewhere about somebody's problems with xcdroast. My problem is even
> >  simpler (stupider?) I can't get cdrecord to work under debian.

(27 lines of foolishness cut out )

> >  My kernel version is the potato default kernel 2.2.17. My CD-RW is an
> >  ironicially named Best CD Writer. It works under Linux-Mandrake.
> >
> >  I believe I have loaded all the necessary modules (sg + ide-scsi) and have the
> >  proper devices in /dev. Just to be sure I did a MAKEDEV (something the
> >  installation of cdrecord is supposed to do anyways), deleting /potato default kerneldev/sg* and
> >  recreating them. So why the message "cdrecord: No such file or directory.
> >  Cannot open SCSI driver"?
> >
> >  What have I forgotten/failed to do? This is the final piece of the puzzle in my
> >  making my Debian installation as usable as my Linux-Mandrake (I now have sound
> >  and ppp under Debian. Wow!)
>

>     Well i had a similar problem with my potato default kernel 2.2.17
> which has IDECD driver compiled into the kernel and IDESCSI
> loaded as a module. The IDESCSI driver can only access the
> CDRW if the IDECD driver doesn't grab it first (the IDECD driver should be
> compiled as a module or not at all if using IDESCSI).
> 	So by adding to lilo.conf the line: append="hd?=ide-scsi"
> the device file representing CDRW (hd?) is passed to the ide-scsi
> driver in the kernel before the ide-cd driver can grab it.

Thanks. Just what the doctor prescribed.

> 	This means that your bootup messages will list the drives
> detected  by the ide-scsi emulation. If you dont get these messages then it
> hasn't worked.
> 	Once you get these messages then run# cdrecord -scanbus
> and you should get a listing with your CDRW  dev at e.g. 0,0,0.
> Then use that in cdrecord  dev=0,0,0 ..... and all goes well.
> 	This is a long-winded explanation because it took me a long
> time to make sense out of this. In any case it worked. YMMV.

My chocolate (MM) uses grub. I found out I needed to edit /boot/grub/menu.lst:

title Debian
kernel (hd0,17)/vmlinuz root=/dev/hda18 hdc=ide-scsi

Also, for the newbie maintenance faq: I had to unlink "/dev/cdrom" from "hdc" to
"scd0" to make the writer usable as a vanilla cdrom.