Re: what's /initrd ?

on Sun, Oct 29, 2000 at 09:30:38PM -0800, Krzys Majewski (majewski@cs.ubc.ca) wrote:
> My distribution has an empty directory /initrd. What is it?

"initial RAM disk".

When booting a kernel image, it's sometimes necessary to access
additional features, almost always kernel modules and a utility to load
them, which 1). aren't compiled into the kernel (say, a stock kernel),
and 2). can't be read from the primary root filesystem because of a
dependency deadlock with these features.  The solution is to create a
small filesystem image with just the tools necessary to get you through
the boot sequence.  This is loaded as a RAM disk, then saved to /initrd
after boot, presumably so that you can examine its contents in the event
of any problems.

I've used an initrd in the distant past, when I was dual-booting
GNU/Linux and NT.  Actually, it was a triple boot, with the NT
bootloader being the primary, DOS being a boot option from this, and
LOADLIN.EXE being an option on an DOS boot menu.  LOADLIN would bring up
a kernel which didn't have SCSI support, so I created an initrd with the
appropriate modules to bring up my GNU/Linux installation.  Cool hat
trick.  Not often used these days.

See lilo and kernel sources documentation for more information.