Re: /bin/false (was Re: security questions)

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 03:20:15PM -0700, kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> > also, i noticed that some accounts which are disabled are given a shell of
> > /bin/false:
> >
> > 	ftp:x:100:65534::/home/ftp:/bin/false
> >
> > tiger seemed to hate this too.  i tried playing around with /bin/false.
> > can't seem to figure out what it is.  whatever it is, it's tiny.  only 4 kb
> > long.
>
> See man false.

Now I also have heard that a shell script /bin/false is a bad thing, because
it still allows some nasty shell tricks, but I haven't come across any
examples.  It is also usually what distros install.

However, writing one in C proved to be simple, and an afternoon's worth of fun.
Oh writing it sure didn't take all afternoon, but the fun did.  My current
/bin/false is a compiled ELF file, and I don't really know if it's mine or
Potato's (it's been a long time).

--
Jonathan Markevich <jmarkevich@mad.scientist.com>
http://www.geocities.com/jmarkevich