No networking from certain users

My machine is potato + a little woody (for Helix). I have no problems with dial-up or ethernet networking.

However, I recently tried logging in using a different account, which is in the dip group. I found

1) My windows laptop could not see my machine, which is running samba. This is an ethernet connection. I tried rebooting the laptop, to no effect. Also, directly specifying the full path (\\wheat\v) did not help. This is particularly odd since I thought samba was being run by the OS, not the user that happened to be logged in.

2) pon worked to dial up out of the account. However, I had 0 network connectivity. ping couldn't reach anywhere. fetchmail got nothing. Despite this, the phone connection remained (if I have the wrong password in the account I generally get disconnected) and much of the log activity looked normal (ip-up, ppd, talk all show up in the log).

I did set up the dial-up account and ip-up for the account. Or at least I tried to!

I'd appreciate any clues about where to look for a solution.  Thanks.