Re: OT: compiling new gcc--can it coexist with old?

On Sat, Oct 28, 2000 at 09:20:00PM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> The docs are not totally clear to this clueless non-programmer about the
> options to use for the configure step, but I chose the following:
>
> hpotter:/usr/local/obj# ../src/gcc-2.95.2/configure --enable-haifa
> --enable-shared --enable-threads --enable-cpp --enable-cpplib
> --enable-version-specific-runtime-libs
> --with-gxx-include-dir=/usr/local/include --with-dwarf2 --with-stabs
>
> where I had created /usr/local/obj for the objdir mentioned in the docs, and
> have the sources in /usr/local/src/gcc-2.95.2 (obviously, from the above).
>
> Does this make sense? I could not make heads or tails about the other
> options mentioned.  I am particularly concerned that what I create will not
> interfere with the normal gcc I wish to leave in /usr/bin.  Is there any way
> that the above will mess up the other one or its libs, etc?

It looks like you're making it more of a production than it has to be,
but that's okay.  It shouldn't mess up any libs.

> Lastly, the totally dumb question of the day is How would I use it w/o
> having the other one interfere when I try compiling various package sources?

Just make sure that it installs into /usr/local/bin which it will by
default.  Then set your PATH to be "/usr/local/bin:$PATH" and you're on
your way.  If you want the old gcc to be used when you are compiling
packages, you can either do something like:

$ CC=/usr/bin/gcc make

or edit the Makefile to have the CC variable (which is fairly standard)
point to /usr/bin/gcc.

Good luck,
Chris

--
IF I HAD A MINE SHAFT, I don't think I would just abandon it.  There's
got to be a better way.