Re: cgi-bin security

"Thomas R. Shemanske" <trs@hecke.dartmouth.edu> writes:

> I administer a couple of linux machines (potato based), and have a user
> which want to run cgi-bin scripts, and I would like to know if there are
> security concerns.

Yes there are.  Have a look at cgiwrap, it should take care of many if
not most.  Here's the blurp from potato.

  Package: cgiwrap
  Version: 3.6.4-2
   a gateway that allows more secure user access to CGI programs on
   an HTTPd server than is provided  by the http server itself. The
   primary function  of  CGIwrap is to make  certain   that any CGI
   script runs  with the permissions of  the user who installed it,
   and not those of the server.
  installed-size: 140

--
Olaf Meeuwissen       Epson Kowa Corporation, Research and Development