Re: 2.2: MBR install whacks my system boot

%% Andy Bastien <lists@yuggoth.net> writes:

  >> /etc/lilo.conf says:
  >>
  >> lba32
  >> boot=/dev/sda2
  >> root=/dev/sda5
  >> install=/boot/boot.b
  >> map=/boot/map
  >> delay=20
  >> vga=normal
  >> default=Linux
  >>
  >> image=/vmlinuz
  >> label=Linux
  >> read-only
  >>
  >> image=/vmlinuz.old
  >> label=LinuxOLD
  >> read-only
  >> optional

  ab> In any case, I'd set sda1 active and then set the value for root in
  ab> lilo.conf to /dev/sda and then go from there.

You mean set boot to /dev/sda, not root, right?

OK, I'll try this.

  ab> OTOH, I don't see any reason why you couldn't just repartition the
  ab> drive how you'd like it to be, since there is apparently nothing
  ab> that you need to save in the extended partition.

Well, I'd have to reinstall Linux on the system, that's why (right?).

After I booted off the floppy I've done a not-insignificant amount of
work on this system that I'd hate to have to redo unless absolutely
necessary.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>         Network Management Development