Re:

Potato used a 2.2.x kernel, didn't it? You are going to be absolutely fine with that.
In fact, last time I checked, Woody didn't even offer 2.4.x. Admittedly it's been a
while. The kernel is one of the very few things I installed from a tarball (mainly,
no, exclusively for the USB functionality). Anyway: There shouldn't be too many apps
in Woody that require kernel 2.4.  The only one I am aware of is iptables.
Btw, I just checked: kernel version 2.4.0-test5 is available from Woody. Doesn't
change the fact that you should be OK with any 2.2.x kernel.

HTH,
Juergen