Re: Linux Tough guy

on Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 02:42:27PM -0500, Cavaiani, Don (Don.Cavaiani@plexus.com) wrote:
> You seem to be much smarter by far than 98% of the people on this list.  I
> have been trying for a couple of days - via the Debian list yesterday - to
> find out how to make my linux part. bigger w/o losing everything.  I'm sure
> the many e-mails must 'bout drive you batty some days!
>
> I tried to find a FIPS expert via the web, but he's probably no longer
> there, so I forwarded it directly to you for one last try.

I've used fips once, to resize a Win98 partition (shrinking it), prior
to installing GNU/Linux.

I've used Partition Magic, once, to resize several partitions on a
laptop -- both shrinking and growing them.  Working without docs, the
process was moderately terrifying, however, I was willing to skotch the
whole disk, so I accepted the risk.  The process takes a fair bit of
time, is *not* immediately intuitive, is hindered by a deceptive
topical resemblance to the Legacy MS Windows GUI, though the guts are in
fact quite different (minor example:  it's not possible to move a window
on screen).  The process doesn't indicate when it's going to start (when
you've committed to changes), or provide any realistic idea of how long
it will take to complete.

My preferred partitioning mode is to back up all relevant partitions to
tape, verify backups, repartition disks as desired, and restore backups.
It's somewhat more time-intensive, but it works, and generally reduces
risks.

If I've got the spare disk space, I'll usually make the tapes as a
precautionary measure, but use a disk partition as a staging area for
actual data transfer -- much faster.