Re: Debian and Red Hat togheter

On Wed, Oct 25, 2000 at 04:49:29AM +0800, csj@mindgate.net wrote:
> I've installed multiple Linuses in combinations like Mandrake + Debian,
> Mandrake + Storm, Redhat + Debian. The biggest problem for me was the module
> loaded.
>
> But this may be because in LILO I installed Debian as just another Linux OS.
> In a recent reinstall I configured Debian to boot as an alien ("other")
> operating system (like winblows). Now I'm able to modprobe without too much
> fuss.

sounds like you weren't configuring lilo correctly, i assume you have
seperate / filesystems for each distro, and you did NOT have seperate
/boot partitions, you probably had a lilo.conf like this:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	root=/dev/hda1 ## redhat
	read-only

image=/boot/vmlinuz
	root=/dev/hda2 ## debian
	read-only

on your redhat /etc and ran lilo from redhat.  this would boot your
REDHAT kernel using your Debian root filesystem (and thus debian
modules which don't match the redhat kernel)

what you should have done instead is:

image=/boot/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/hda1 ## redhat
        read-only

image=/debian/boot/vmlinuz
        root=/dev/hda2 ## debian
        read-only

and mounted your debian / on /debian under redhat, THEN run lilo, and
your debian kernel will be loaded for debian and your redhat kernel
for redhat.

remember that lilo does not read /etc/lilo.conf at boot time, it only
uses it at install time to create a blocklist for the specified
kernel.  the root= is not used by lilo except as an argument it passes
to the kernel.  the first lilo.conf just creates one blocklist for the
redhat kernel and passes it a different root= argument.

the latter creates two blocklists, one for redhat one for debian
kernels.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/