Strange error: "normal or special character expected (got a node)"

I was doing "man wine" when I the following strange error popped up:

  /tmp/zmanyQetL5:206: normal or special character expected (got a node)

Man didn't seem to crash or anything, it just alerted me to the error.
To see the broader context I'll include some surrounding stuff:

-----------------------------
       If you have FreeBSD, make  sure  you  have  the  USER_LDT,
       SYSVSHM,  SYSVSEM,  and  SYSVMSG options turned on in your
       kernel. If you are building wine on Solaris, you will most
       likely  need  to  build  wine with the GNU toolchain (gcc,
       gas, etc.)

 Manual page wine(1) line 1/tmp/zmanyQetL5:206: normal or special character expected (got a node)
Still saving the page, please wait...
       X must be installed.  To use  wine's  support  for  multi

Anyone know what this error is referring to?

Cheers,

Mark.