Re: Whiteboard Software

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 10:50:57AM -0600, Robert Kerr wrote:

> software is out there that I could use in this situation?  Is there

apt-cache search whiteboard says:

| nte - shared text editor designed for use on the Mbone.
| vat - LBNL audio conferencing tool over the internet.

YMMV.

> anything that will work with NetMeeting?

The OpenH323 project has an H.323 client which interoprates with
NetMeeting for voice and video calls but won't do the whiteboard.

No H.323 client is going to interact well with a firewall - H.323 relies
on dynamically assigned UDP and TCP connections in both directions,
which makes it pretty much impossible to pass through a firewall safely
unless the firewall understands H.323 or you run a H.323 to H.323
gateway on the firewall.

If you're using NAT the situation is worse (it's not just a case of
opening the firewall, it's just basically impossible to make the
connection without the active assistance of the NAT box).

            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/