Xfree86 symlinks gone

One day I attempted to get xinerama and XFree86 4.0.1 working on my
box.  I copied all the files from XF3 to a backup location,
attempted to get XF4 up and running.  I failed.  And since this is
my work machine, I needed XF3 back for the following Monday.

I removed the new XF4 stuff, and copied back the old configurations
and binaries.  Now the sym links are broken and I see error messages
like this when I apt-get updates:

Setting up libgnomeui32 (1.2.8-helix1) ...
ldconfig: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4 is not a symlink
ldconfig: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXaw3d.so.6 is not a symlink
ldconfig: warning: /usr/X11R6/lib/libXtst.so.6 is not a symlink

What is the best way to restore the symlinks?

Thanks,
Rob.