2.4-pre5 especially susceptible to memory overload?

I have had more system hangs in the last two weeks than in the last four
years put together . . . (OK, so that make s 2 :)

The first incident was loading (well, attempting to load) an excessively
large file into beav (a binary file editor).  1G file, 160Mb memory.

It ran out of memory, and eventually stopped swapping.  This was repeatable.

Yesterday, I selected two columns on star office 5.2, copied to
clipboard, and then my fingers slipped as I tried to do a paste-special.
Same results.

Both of these were done in userland.

I can't go back to 2.2, as I have an eepro network card (only stays up a
couple of seconds under load).

hawk