Re: where is old (3.2) Xfree86?

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 04:57:48PM -0500, David A. Rogers wrote:
> Jim,
>
> The TP 365xd had two different display types.  If you got the TFT, you can use
> the latest xfree builds.  If you have the DSTN, nothing after 3.2 works.  At
> least this is what I've read on a couple of Thinkpad web sites.  I tried using
> 3.3.6 from Potato and no dice.

David,

I'm 90% sure that I have the DSTN monitor, which only runs at
8bpp, not the TFT which runs at 16bpp. I'll double check that
tonight, but I do now have a copy of my XF86Config and it
in it I've indicated that my display only does 8bpp.

Anyway, you say that XFree 3.3 doesn't work for you, could
you describe what happens? Do you get a blank screen with
2 horizontal lines across it?  Have you tried hitting
Fn-F7 after starting up X?  I have to hit Fn-F7 after X
start up, but other than that X works fine.

Have you looked at this page
http://www.irisa.fr/prive/mentre/365xd/#X_for_me ?
(Also look at http://marc.merlins.org/linux/laptops/index.html)
It describes the fact that DSTN displays work with
XFree 3.3 for only some BIOS versions.  What BIOS
version do you have?  I upgraded mine to the latest
available before I wiped DOS off that laptop - I'm
not sure if you need DOS installed to upgrade the
BIOS or not.

I'll forward my XF86Config to you directly, David.

HTH,
Jim

--
Jim Crumley                  |