Re: problems with ippp0

Stephan Kiesel wrote:

> hello,
>
> i configured my isdn card as /dev/ippp0 and every 10 minutes without any
> activity, ippp0 connect to my isp-nameserver.
> I plan to configure this host as internet gateway.
> I don´t want to start or stop the device everytime i´m going  online.
>
> tia
> Stephan
>
> --

Sounds like sth. trys to make a DNS-Lookup. E.g. Netscape or Sendmail or sth. like
this. You can try to find this out with iptraf, it logs your ip traffic, maybe you see
who is trying to make this lookup causes the dialout. Another way, search at
linuxhelp.com or sdb.suse.de (yeah, I know, not Debian, but it helps also sometimes)
for a help to a topic like "Why is my pc making internet connects although I don't
want him to" or similar. There you get other programs that causes DNS Lookups
sometimes

Hanno