Problem with desktop icons

Hi all,
  I have a weird problem in GNOME.  The icons for my desktop shortcuts
keep changing back to the default icon (a piece of paper) for no reason.
 I didn't do anything (that I'm aware of) to change the icons, they just
all got reset by themselves.  When I try to change them, it won't work.
I right click an icon, go to Properties, and choose an icon and hit OK,
and it doesn't work.  This is not the first time this has happened.  I
have done a clean reinstall of Debian 2.2 from the CD's, and I still get
the problem. Is this a bug in the version of GNOME that comes on the
CD's?  Does anybody know how to fix this??  Thanks.

Casey Henderson