Re: Problem with /etc/fstab

On Mon, Oct 23, 2000 at 12:16:27PM +0200, Pawe? Kordys wrote:
> Can anyone help me with fstab... ?
> I have 2 windows partitions, edited /etc/fstab and everything working, but I
> would like to only users from "fat" group can see /c-fat and d-fat/ (my
> mount points), maked:
>
> chown .fat c-fat/
> chown .fat d-fat/
> chmod 770 c-fat/
> chmod 770 d-fat/
>
> but mount overwrite permisions.

yup, permissions of the mountpoint directory are irrelevant, they are
always replaced by the permissions stored on the filesystem.  (or in
this case the faked permissions for FAT)

what you should do instead is change your fstab entries to look
something like this:

/dev/hda6    /c-fat vfat    rw,umask=007,gid=120 0 2

check /etc/group to see what the numeric gid number for group `fat' is
and use that instead of my 120 example.  also change that last 2 to a
0 if you don't want these filesystems fscked at boot. (yes there is a
fsck.msdos for *nix its in the dosfstools package)

another option is using umsdos which lets you have *nix filesystem
features (such as permissiosn) on the DOS filesystem (via an ugly hack
that leaves funky files littered about your dos filesystem)

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/