Re: DSL dns problems

On Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 10:22:42PM -0500, steve wrote:
> Pings and traceroutes are running from 50ms up to 200ms, if I can even
> get to the targets at all.
>
> My question is, could this be some configuration problem on my end, or
> are their dns servers having serious problems?

Verify that nothing in your local config has changed, try pinging several
different hosts in different areas (if the problem is just with one host or
subnet, the problem could be on their end), then call your telco.

If this were a DNS problem, there would be a delay before the first ping
was sent (while DNS does hostname-to-IP translation), but the ping times
would be unaffected (since they're sent to the IP address, not the hostname).

Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d- s+: a- C++ UL++$ P+>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+
!K w---$ O M- V? PS+ PE Y+ PGP t 5++ X+ R++ tv b+ DI++++ D G e* h+ r++ y+