Re: What's with the Oracle for inux?

Joe Bouchard wrote:

> I saw a boxed package at Staples (office supply store) with CDs and I
> think it had a book.  It was about $90.  If you are impatient and can
> afford the price, that may be the way to go.  I don't remember the
> details but I really don't think it was a crippled version.

You can download for free a fully functional copy of Oracle from their
web site or you can buy CDs from them for about $50 if the download is
too painful. For development and experimentation, Oracle is happy to let
you use the products for free, and they don't expire. If you intend to
make any money with them, however, Oracle wants their cut. That's where
the huge license fees come in. I get the impression that these are
negotiable depending on who you are, what you want to use the db for,
and what mood the sales staff for your region might be in. Seems to me
that if the biz model supports it, then go with Oracle. If there isn't a
biz model yet, or you're developing for nonprofits or other low-budget
contexts, Postgres is hard to beat. My $0.02 anyway.

Stan