Re: LILO

"Ken" == Ken M Mevand <geekabyte@yahoo.com> writes:

> i created a /boot partition as the first partition of the disk
> (about 40M), and it still doesn't work. is LILO screwed?  whenever i
> boot, the screen is filled with "01". i can only boot using a
> floppy. anyone know how to fix this?

>> ken

I had the same symptom.  My problem was that the /boot partition was
not on the master disk (hda), it was on hdb.  I believe it was my BIOS
that couldn't handle booting from the second disk, LILO itself wasn't
the problem.

My solution was to put the /boot partition on hda and boot to it.
Luckily I had some ext2 partitions on hda from a previous RedHat
install, so I moved the contents of /boot to hda5.
Everything worked nicely after that.

If you really don't want to mess with shrinking your Windows
partition, I was told (by David Wright) that it could still be done,
using some symlink trickery.

For a better explanation of how to fix the problem, look in the
archives for David Wright's message to this list on 5 October 2000.

hth,
=wl

--
Albert ``Willy'' Lee, Emacs user, game programmer
"They call me CRAZY - just because I DARE to DREAM of a RACE of