Re: Help, caught in apt/dselect treadmill; trying to install Tomcat

begin  Gregory Guthrie (gguthrie@mum.edu) quotation (Fri, Oct 20, 2000 at 08:46:23PM -0500):
> I am running kernelversion 2.2, from CDrom install. I did the simple
> configuration, and even then it had a list of about 16-18 install problems,
> unresolved dependencies. I ran install again, more resolved.
>
> I wanted to get tomcat, so grabbed it from:
> http://master.debian.org/~sgybas/tomcat/, but:
>
> So it required some unstable packages, so I added an unstable ftp source to
> my apt/source.list, and it did indeed find the two required packages, but
> also about 189 (90MB) of other stuff.
>   -- (Any way to have just gotten the one desired thing from unstable?)

The simplest solution is just copy down the desired .deb and install it
via dpkg:

    dpkg -i somefile.deb

...you'll get some funkyness in your package lists (basically, you've
installed a package for which there isn't sufficient metadata), but
generally there's no permanent harm done.

What you've done instead is to step onto the Woody distribution wagon.
You're going to be upgrading on unstable from here on out.  You may not
have wanted to do that.

> Now, two more items show up missing:
> Get:1 ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main libcapplet0 1:1.2.2-4 [15.4kB]
> Err ftp://ftp.us.debian.org unstable/main libcapplet0 1:1.2.2-4
>    Unable to fetch file, server said
> '/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/libs/libcapplet0_1.2.2-4.deb: No such
> file or directory.  '
> Failed to fetch
> ftp://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/libs/libcapplet0_1.2.2-4.deb
>    Unable to fetch file, server said
> '/debian/dists/woody/main/binary-i386/libs/libcapplet0_1.2.2-4.deb: No such
> file or directory.  '
>
> E: Unable to fetch some archives, maybe try with --fix-missing?
>
> 1) What should I do?

First try to refresh your package lists.  Note that these are *unstable* --
first, the list(s) may have been updated since last you checked.
Second, you're upgrading on an unstable track.  Again, do you really want
this?

> 2) Why is Debian install so messy? This is a clean install, and even before
> getting into Tomcat, I got several unresolved dependencies.

Have you checked RedHat lately? <g>

Depending on what you're installing and when, it's possible to get
tangled up in dependency issues.  Generally, my recommendation is to
take it slowly and update or install a few packages at a time.  It's the
one swell foop manuvers which get you into trouble.