Re: Getting only selected unstable debs with apt-get

Scott V. McGuire wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any way to get just selected unstable packages using apt-get,
> like mutt 1.2?  If I put lines for unstable in sources.list I think I
> will get the unstable versions of all packages.  Is that right?

Only if you do something along the lines of apt-get upgrade while your
sources.list is pointed at unstable.  What you could do is modify your
sources.list to point at unstable, do "apt-get install foo" where foo is a
list of the packages you want to upgrade, then modify your sources.list to
point back at stable.

However, chances are you'll wind up needing to have so mahy base packages
upgraded to the unstable version - such as libc6, for example - that you
would almost be as well off to simply upgrade the whole shebang to unstable.

An alternate method that *might* work is leave the deb lines in your
sources.list pointing at stable, but insert deb-src lines that point at
unstable.  Then do an apt-get update, then do "apt-get source -b foo".
This'll grab the source packages, compile them on your machine, and then
generate a deb that can be installed via "dpkg -i foo.deb".  I *really*
don't know about any possible library conflicts.  But it just might work.
--
Mike Werner  KA8YSD   | He that is slow to believe anything and
                      | everything is of great understanding,
'91 GS500E            | for belief in one false principle is the
Morgantown WV         | beginning of all unwisdom.