Re: more problems with X

For the upper 25% of the screen:  You have some type of Virtual Windows
setup.  You can get rid of it if you edit the XF86Config.
For the number pad: do you have Num Lock on?
For the Xstart up: if your configuration allows it, you can press
Ctrl-Alt-Bksp to dump yourself into bash or whatever you use.  If that boots
you back into X, I think there's a shell option like 'killx' or something
like that (???).  Otherwise, you can go into the shell (while in X) and do
an 'xf86config' if you want.  Then all you have to do is either restart X or
reboot.

    Brandt Dusthimer