Re: XFree 4.0.1 and Quake

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 11:17:18PM -0500, Brandt Dusthimer wrote:
>     I'm having problems with XFree 4.0.1, NVidia drivers (I have a TNT2 Elsa Erazor III, not available in the XF86Config), and Quake III.  Quake 3 runs fine until I try to start a game.  It load game media and all that other stuff, but as soon as I go into the real game it dumps me with a GLX error.  I compiled the garbage myself and had to do a little editing (comment out the modversions.h because it isn't in kernel 2.2.17), and after I did that it ran everything fine.  In fact, everything seems to run fine except for quake III ( and a little bit of X with the window managers and the screensavers not working.)  Anyone know anything about this or had something like it happen to them?

I'm using nvidia drivers 0.9-5 with my geforce256 and works really fine.
  - use brandens experimental packages, if not already done so
  - search debian-x@lists.debian.org for details
  - install kernel-headers package to get modversions.h
  	(/usr/src/kernel-headers-<version> should be linke to
	/usr/src/linux)

I think the problem could be in
/usr/lib/:
	You have some other libGL around (e.g. libGL.so.1.2 symlinked by
	libGL)
	In this case, quake3 kills x-server.

/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions:
	there is a libglx.a in addition to your libglx.so ->
	libglx.so.1.0.5
	the xserver loads this one instead crashing your glx subsystem
	I diverted (man dpkg-divert) this lib to
	/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libglx.a.distrib

I hope this helps.
Next time, perhaps, try debian-x.

regard
ff

--
     Florian Friesdorf <42ff@gmx.net>
OpenPGP key available on public key servers

------> Save the future of Open Source <------
-> Online-Petition against Software Patents <-
------> http://petition.eurolinux.org <-------