Re: OT: Cross-platform document format?

"J.H.M. Dassen (Ray)" wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 13:52:04 -0500, Kent West wrote:
> [HTML stripped - this is a mailing list, not a website]

Sorry; I was using Mozilla M18, and my address book entry is set to not
send HTML to this list; apparently the address book has problems (more
than just this problem; it seems to me to be way broken).

> >Is there an open document format that is widely available on Windows, Mac,
> >and Linux, that can do all the stuff that the proprietary formats (.DOC,
> >.WPD, etc) can do (such as graphics, tables, columns, font/attributes,
> >indenting, justification, super/subscripts, footnotes, endnotes, math
> >formulas, etc)?
>
> LaTeX or Lout (combined with say xfig or dia for graphics) may fit the bill,
> but they assume a certain level of user sophistication, as they're primarily
> typesetting systems, rather than word processors. A frontend like LyX can be
> very useful.

Thanks for the response. I was looking for a common document format, so
that the students on campus would quit turning their homework in as .DOC
format. I don't think I'm going to get the students to give up MS-Word
on MS-Windows to learn LaTeX, etc, although in an ideal world....

Thanks anyway!