Multiple Nics/ Net Connections

Hi, I seem to be having some very odd Nic/Net connection problems.
What I have is a server with 2 Nics.  One (eth0) is plugged into a cable
modem that we are planing on using as a back up connection.  The other
(eth1) is plugged into our T1 and is our main connection.  The problem is
that when I enable the T1's card (eth1) we can't get to the cables device
any more from the T1 side.  It's acting as if there is some weird internal
routing going on, but there isn't from what I can tell.

Any ideas?

                -Matt-