Re: 2.2 - install - cdrom_module

Thanks to Gustavo for informing me to skip the cdrom_modules section.

But I have done something foolish. After 2.2 prompted me to reboot the
system )I have done something kompletely wrong: I had forgotten the
bootsequence A,cdrom,hda and not noticing the same questions as before
- answered them up to the point where to choose the appropiate
partitions. I guess the routine had written some files to hdd because
aborting and rebooting failed after mounting root in a kernel panic
with the message  "no init found   Try passing init= option to
kernel".

Have I destroyed the former configuration, is there anything to
rescue?

Besides, cannot remeber exactly, but before choosing the modules, the
install procedure prompted me to choose the network card out of a
list. Does this mean that the driver is directly build into the
kernel? Or did the kernel just wanted to know there is a NIC?

Last week I made the experience in compiling a 2.0.38 kernel, the
first time ever. make Xconfig prompted me first to choose network
support, then network options and then wether the NIC has to be built
into the kernel or just compile it as a module.

So this seems to be slightly different from the procedure installing
Debian 2.2.
In the past I had heard that network stuff should rather be build into
the kernel directly.

Robert