Re: fetchmail

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 07:24:33AM -0400 or thereabouts, Michael P. Soulier wrote:
>     So this is interesting. I've had fetchmail running as a daemon for about 2
> weeks, and I wake up this morning and find that I have zero email waiting. I
> check the log, and I see entries like this:
>
> fetchmail: 5.3.3 querying mail.storm.ca (protocol POP3) at Wed, 18 Oct 2000
> 07:20:01 -0400 (EDT)
> fetchmail: fetchmail: POP3 connection to mail.storm.ca failed: temporary name
> server error.
>
>     So I do an nslookup on storm's mail server, and it's there. So, I kill
> fetchmail and restart it, and find 400+ messages waiting.
>
>     Anyone know what would cause this "temporary name server error?"
>
>     Mike
>
> --
> Michael P. Soulier <msoulier@storm.ca>
> "...the word HACK is used as a verb to indicate a massive amount
> of nerd-like effort."  -Harley Hahn, A Student's Guide to UNIX
> PGP Public Key: http://www.storm.ca/~msoulier/personal.html

it means either the name was not resolving at the exact time and date OR
that it timedout while checking for mails.

sounds crazy i know but that's my experience with fetchmail having used it for
over two years now.  anyway, i'm open to more reasonable explanation.

--
Who's watching the watchmen?

Key fingerprint = E619 726E 3815 7A48 EAC7  E49F DF93 4E33 B069 0883