Re: Ftpd setup

On Tue, Oct 17, 2000 at 11:04:36AM -0700, Jay Kelly wrote:
> Hello Guys,
> I have FTPD installed and was wondering how I change the default directory.
> Also how can I add users just for the ftp and not to have access to login
> via ssh or something. I looked for the man pages but there are none
> installed for it. And help on where the config file are kept and on how to
> add users would be great.
> Thanks

if its the OpenBSD ftpd add the username to /etc/ftpchroot.

as for making an account ftp only.  add a bogus shell to /etc/shells
and change the user's shell to that.

i use OpenBSD's /sbin/nologin (prints out a simple message, or
whatever is in /etc/nologin.txt, its much simpler and cleaner code
then falselogin)

another way to do it which is probably more secure is create a file
/etc/ftponly.  and add the following line to /etc/pam.d/ftp (the linux
port of the openbsd ftpd supports pam)

auth    required     pam_listfile.so item=user sense=deny file=/etc/ftponly onerr=succeed

i reccommend the 0.3.2 version of OpenBSD ftpd, it includes a built in
ls so you don't have to bother with copying libs and the ls binary
into each user's home directory.

it might be packaged for woody i just compile it myself from source
which can be found on freshmeat.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/