Metafont & X

[Please Cc: replies to me -- I'm not on this list since it's too
high-traffic.]

For you teTeX gurus out there... what do I need to do to get Metafont to
use X to display fonts? I'm trying to learn Metafont (from the
Metafontbook) but the examples don't work because I can't figure out how
to view the fonts. I can't figure out how to view the .gf files either --
all I get after converting to dvi is some error messages from Metafont
(invoked by xdvi) and a bunch of jumbled characters.

Any help/pointers-to-docs would be appreciated, thanks!