Re: System.map problem

Lazar Fleysher <fleysher@chudo.lanl.gov> writes:

> after upgrade to 2.2.17 (from 2.0.36) I have noticed that when I give the
> ps command I get the following error:
>
> {aic7xxx_patch6_func} {rpc_debug}
> Warning: /boot/System.map-2.2.17 does not match kernel data.
> Warning: /usr/src/linux/System.map has an incorrect kernel version.
> after that, normal ps output...
>
> Could someone tell what the problem is and how to fix it?

Linux searches for the correct System.map, which gets generated during
the Linux build process, in /boot/System.map-<suffix>. Where <suffix>
is the suffix, which the linux image itself has.

For example:
If your Linux image is in /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17-foobar-pre2, your
System.map should be /boot/System.map-2.2.17-foobar-pre2.

Have you compiled Linux yourself and forgotten to copy the System.map?
The kernel-deb's generated by kernel-package manage the System.maps
automatically.

	moritz
--
/* Moritz Schulte <moritz@hp9001.fh-bielefeld.de>