Re: installing Mach 64 Xserver

On Tue, 17 Oct 2000 07:34:46 Bob Edwards wrote:
> I installed debian from a 3 CD set. When I tried to use 'XF86Setup' I
> got as far as trying to install my video card and XF86Setup gave me the
> following message:
>
> "The server required by your card is not installed. Please install the
> MAch 64 serever as /usr/X11R6/bin/XF86_Mach64

> Regards,
> Bob Edwards
> aka "desperately seeking to get debian fully installed and operational"

The package you're after is xserver-mach64.
You can use dselect (command dselect as root) or
apt-get install xserver-mach64

When installing from dselect, you will get suggestions about other packages you
might want to have, so I'll suggest you use this to begin with.
At least as a learning experience. Apt-get is a better tool when you know what
to do but take your time to learn dselect for now.

You'd also want xdm or gdm, which makes you computer boot up in graphical mode
and gives you more of an environment to work in.
The difference is xdm is just plain x (with possible window managers) while gdm
includes gnome.
I personally like to use gdm and sawfish (aka. sawmill), but this is rather
sluggy on old computers and tastes may vary.
If you feel like it, check out the helix-gnome packages on woody (unstable). Or
kde, for that sake. Also on woody.

Harald