Nvidia, XF86 4.0.1, Cluebies unite!

Have been having trouble getting X11-4 and the nvidia drivers to play nice
together. Will explain what I have done so far, since it might be likely
that one of my failed attempts has screwed something up. I'm new to Debian,
with most of my prior experience being with RH (4-6.2). I am begining to
love apt-get and dpkg, but dselect still has be baffled (we're working on
that one ...).

Installed the XF86 4.0.1 debs phase 2 from whoever it is that has them ...

Grabbed the NVIDIA kernel module from nvidia. Wouldn't compile, poked around
and found out I needed to install the kernel headers. Installed with apt-get
and changed the SYSINCLUDE variable to point to the correct location.
Compiled the mod and checked with lsmod to make sure it was loaded.

Attempted to compile the NVDIA_GLX libs, which failed.

Putzed around with XF86Setup trying to get the nvidia driver to work. Added:

Driver  "nvidia"

to the Device section, as well as various other sections, with no luck. Kept
getting a config error at run.

Poked around with dselect and noticed that XF86Setup was still ver 3.3.6. I
bit the bullet and DLed the bins from a mirror for 4.0.1, then used
Xinstall.sh to install them. Answered yes to every move/link question.

Ran XF86Setup again, and expected it would look different from the 3.3.6
version. It didn't. I'm not sure it even should, but nothing looked any
different than the old version. Set the sync and refresh for my monitor (H:
30-130, V:50-160) and ran startx. Looked okay.

I then figured my Driver "nvidia" line wasn't working because it was looking
for the NVIDIA_GLX stuff. Now that I had the entire X11 4.0.1 installed I
did the 'make install' thing from the GLX dir, and it seemed to work fine,
with no errors reported.

I then added the Driver "nvidia" line to my Device section in
/etc/X11/XF86Setup and ran startx. Big Hard Flaming Crash. Many
multi-colored squares on the screen. Ctrl-Alt-Backspace did nothing.
Ctrl-Alt-F1-8 did nothing. Ctrl-Alt-Delete would not shut down. Powered
down.

Other info:

I installed the bins for glibc21, which is what the Xinstall.sh -check
script told me to do. The video card is reported by xviddetect to be an
Nvidia Vanta, which is good since that's what it says on the card too. :-)

------
Shawn FitzGerald - IS&T Coordinator
Kendall College of Art & Design
fitzgers@kcad.edu | PGP : http://www.kcad.edu/~fitzgers/pubkey.txt
I refuse to install MS-Office just to have a spell checker in Outlook.