Re: Questions About dpkg and friends

> If you grab the Contents-i386.gz (or whatever) file out of the archive -
> it's in dists/stable or dists/unstable, depending - then you can grep
> through that for whatever you need. I usually find that faster than the
> available search tools on the web.

debian provides all the necessary tools most of the time.

dpkg -S file

will tell you if a file exists in an installed package

apt-cache search string

will search package name and descriptions

grepping the Contents file should only be necessary for files in uninstalled
packages - and even then - there's probably a way :)

cheers
 damien