I'm having trouble with my NIC

I have an old 486SX25 with 16MB of RAM and a SMC 8013WC NIC, which worked
under the 2.0.36 kernel, but when I upgraded to potato, WD.O tells me that
there is no card installed.  When I boot back into DOS and run the config
utility, it says that the EEPROM was trashed and rewrites it.  I
downloaded and tried the wdsetup utility, but it doesn't find the card
either.  Any suggestions?  I completely erased, repartitioned, and
reformatted my hard drives before upgrading, so there was nothing left
that could be interfering.

Thanks for your help,
Jeremy