Re: How to compile module to avoid "unresolved symbols" ??

On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 02:24:07PM -0700, Kenward Vaughan wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 15, 2000 at 06:05:30PM +0100, Steve Haslam wrote:
> > bash$ nm 3dfx.o | grep printk
> >          U printk_R1b7d4074
> > bash$ grep printk /proc/ksyms
> > c0115f4c printk_R1b7d4074

> Thnaks for the very quick reply.  Checking the version hash gave
> me a totally BLANK response for the module itself:
>
> nm 3dfx.o | grep printk
>         U printk
>
> which made me do some thinking... I went through the timestamps for the
> kernel packages I had made and discovered that I had created a kernel for my
> other box (an old 486... kernel compiles on my Athlon<4 minutes... on the
> 486=well over an hour) between the module and the last kernel for this box.

OK, looks like your 486's kernel was compiled with
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=n then.

> I recompiled a fresh kernel, re-did the module, and viola!  no complaints!
> (I also got a matching version hash.)

Excellent!

Actually, I think just installing you Athlon machine's config file to
linux/.config and running "make oldconfig" is sufficient to make the
files necessary for building an external module. If you do make
mrproper, install your config file and make oldoncifg, then you should
at least get a fatal error if it isn't enough.

> I haven't gotten to the testing phase, but this is obviously on the right
> track...

Indeed...

> Different question came up when I glanced through my Athlon configuration...
> do you know whether framebuffer support should be compiled in for the
> Voodoo?  I don't currently have that marked...

I don't know tbh. I've only got a Voodoo2, and it isn't necessary for
that. But if you've got a Voodoo3 (or, in general, any combined 2d/3d
chipset) then it's probably nice to compile in framebuffer support, to
get a hi-res console text mode etc. At least in kernel 2.4.0-test,
there is a CONFIG_FB_3DFX option.

But I don't think Glide uses the framebuffer devices. So for 3D games,
it wouldn't be necessary.

SRH
--
Steve Haslam      http://www.arise.demon.co.uk/      steve@arise.demon.co.uk