Re: Problems with libX11.so.6.

On Sun, 15 Oct 2000, Daniel de los Reyes wrote:
>Hello
>
>I am trying tu run a binary only application on a Potato finding the next
>problem:
>
>libX11.so.6.1 is correctly installed in /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6.1 and
>libX11.so.6 is a symlink to it.
>Besides /usr/X11R6/lib is included in /etc/ld.so.conf.
>
>The problem is that all the binaries in the application linked against the
>lib return the error can't load library libX11.so.6
>
>this is the output of ldd
>
>tramontana:~$ ldd /usr/ustation/ustation32
>        libm.so.5 => /lib/libm.so.5 (0x4000f000)
>        libdl.so.1 => /lib/libdl.so.1 (0x40018000)
>        libX11.so.6 => not found
>        libc.so.5 => /lib/libc.so.5 (0x4001b000)
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the clue to your problem, your binary app is an older program
which uses the old "libc5" library not the newer "libc6" shipped with a
modern distro.  Debian still keeps the libraries needed by libc5
programs, they are in the section "oldlibs" in the packaging
system.  You appear to have some of these "oldlibs" installed already,
notably the libc5 package itself.

The library libX11.so.6 for libc6 apps is in the package xlib6g, the
libc5 version is in the similarly named package xlib6.  Install this,
and the required library will be installed under /usr/lib/libc5-compat/.

This is true for many other libraries, the libc5 version of most
libraries will be in a package with a similar name to the libc6
versions, so you can do a "dpkg --search" on the full path to an
installed libc6 library to find out which package it came in, then
search for similarly named packages in "oldlibs" (often you just remove
the last letter "g" from the package name, eg xlib6g and xlib6) which
should contain the libc5 version of the library you need.

I had exactly your problem when I installed a copy of WordPerfect, I had
a libc5 version, (without realising) and couldn't work out why it was
failing to find libraries which other programs could.  Once I had worked
out what was going on, the above method enabled me to track down the 4
or 5 "oldlibs" packages I needed to install.

Regards

Simon Hales

My ICQ Number is:- 89224228