RE: Telnet to mail host replies connection refused

> Strongly recommend you take a look at this rant on problem reporting:

Let's see if I can better address it using the points from a summary you
mentioned.

Point 1: The first aim of a bug report is to let the programmer see the
failure with his own eyes.

This really applies to bug reporting.  I did show what was indicating the
problem.  Namely, telneting to the SMTP port.  Please see previous mail for
syntax used.

Point 2: In case the first aim doesn't succeed, and the programmer can't see
it failing himself, the second aim of a bug report is to describe what went
wrong. Describe everything in detail. State what you saw, and also state
what you expected to see. Write down the error messages, especially if they
have numbers in them.

Did this.

Point 3: When your computer does something unexpected, freeze. Do nothing
until you're calm, and don't do anything that you think might be dangerous.

OK

Point 4: By all means, try to diagnose the fault yourself if you think you
can, but if you do, you should still report the symptoms as well.

Have tried.  Still no clue.

Point 5: Be ready to provide extra information if the programmer needs it.
If he didn't need it, he wouldn't be asking for it. He isn't being
deliberately awkward. Have version numbers at your fingertips, because they
will probably be needed.

Didn't include version number.  It is sendmail 8.9.3 for debian slink.

Point 6: Write clearly. Say what you mean, and make sure it can't be
misinterpreted.
Above all, be precise. Programmers like precision.

I think I was ...

> Anything regarding sendmail or port 25 in your system logs?

Syslog had the following line.

Oct 12 01:10:22 debian tcplogd: smtp connection attempt from localhost
[127.0.0.1]

No other mention.

> It ***helps*** to tell us everything relevant about a situation,
> including whether or not you have command-line access to the system in
> question.   We can't see your system or guess your network configuration
> by telepathy.

As shown in the syntax, I am running telnet from the command line.  As far
as network configuration, I am not sure what information would be important
here.  I am running the telnet from the command line of the server.  I can
ping out and have functionality in ftp.  I see the same error when using
localhost.  Can you be specific when you say network configuration?

--
Paul McHale
   Work:   937-320-5495          Double E Solutions