Re: Suggestions for buying a modem

Hi,

On Thu, 12 Oct 2000 kmself@ix.netcom.com wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 10:15:11PM -0800, Ethan Benson (erbenson@alaska.net) wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 12, 2000 at 01:03:49AM -0400, William T Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > If you really do have to buy a new modem, any modem which supports DOS, or
> > > OS/2 will work, as will any external serial modem.  But external modems
> > > usually cost a lot more.
> >
> > they are typically more expensive because they are typically not
> > winmodems.
>
> They also include a case and power supply.  And probably sell in smaller
> volumes than internal modems.

But they are universally usable, easy to setup and you can connect it to
every exotic platform from C64 to Alpha with a serial interface (UART
16550!). The LEDs tell you what is happening right now - no black box!
Besides that, you win one place for an additional card inside.

I have got both an external modem hooked to an old computer and an
external ISDN-TA connected to my newer computer. It has some aesthetic
aspects as well. If you switch off the light in the night, the room
looks like it is christmas. ;-)

Regards,

Kerstin

--