Fresh debian install on LVM partitions using 2.4 kernel: how?

I have bought a new 15Gig disk and want to do a fresh install of
Debian on it.  But I want to install it using logical partitions
installed on top of LVM.  I doubt the current dbootstrap install
allows for this.  To start with the 2.4 kernel is required to get the
LVM stuff.  I have compiled my own 2.4 kernel succesfully and am
running this on my old drive currently.  I somehow need the
installation program to boot using this kernel, and to allow me to use
LVM partitions.  Any ideas on how to do this?

Alternatively, (and a better solution if possible), it would be nice
if I could somehow set the basics up of my new drive manually, while
booted on my old drive.  For example, if I could install base2_2.tgz
myself, and set everything up myself.  Any ideas on whether this is
possible?

Please cc any replies directly to me, as I am not subscribed to the
mailing list.  (I haven't got enough disk space yet.)

Thanks,

Mark.

--