Re: PHP - A new approach

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 07:53:43PM +0000, Steve Simons wrote:

> So does that mean it can't be done by using apt-get (non-source)
> packages?
> That's what I'm after - has anyone done this?

apt-get install apache php3 php3-mysql

Ok, I used php3-pgsql, but assuming the package builders did the same
right things with mysql, the difference ought to be trivial.  The
step above will also deal with dependencies (I know I'm missing
something).

Make sure that apache turns on module support for php when it runs
apacheconfig: it never does do this correctly for me, and I _always_
have to fix it by hand.  Make sure that your apache configuration is
set up to process PHP files with the extension that you're actually
using.  (I always use .php3, and that appears to work out-of-the-box
when I've tried this.)

Go into /etc/php3/apache/php3.ini and look to make sure that your
(mysql) module is loaded properly (it is never configured to load for
me by default); alternatively, manually call the module for insertion
from inside your PHP scripts.  This is slower if you're using the
database on every page.

That's all I've ever done.  Good luck.

Andrew Sullivan                                      Computer Services
<sullivana@bpl.on.ca>                        Burlington Public Library
+1 905 639 3611 x158                                   2331 New Street
                                   Burlington, Ontario, Canada L7R 1J4