Re: telnet and ftp

On Wed, Oct 11, 2000 at 04:56:57PM +0000, stefan goeman (Stefan.Goeman@siemens.atea.be) wrote:
> Hello,
>
> For some testing I want to setup a telnet and/or an ftp connection to
> a remote machine (I also have physical access to the remote machine).
> Is it possible to setup such connection WITHOUT providing any username
> and password.

You could provide a non-password protected account, though this is
highly dangerous.  I'd use a restricted shell and a chroot jail if I
were to this at all.  You could probably script the telnet session with
Expect.

> (Basically I want to setup an unknown number of telnet and/or ftp
> session to a machine and see when it drops out. I want to put this in
> some script)

Why?

Telnet and ftp are dangerous and insecure protocols.  They should be
banished.  ssh, scp, and secure alternatives exist.