Re: Conflicts make APT useless

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000, Thomas Halahan wrote:

> I have upgraded glibc to 2.1.94-3.  During this process I have had
> the same problems as many.  i.e.
>
> * libdb.so.3 not found
> * ldconfig disappears
>
> But now my apt (dselsct and gnome-apt) shows many unsolved
> dependencies which become very confusing and difficult to solve.
> Most notable is the requirement of libdb2 by many packages.  However
> libdb2 conflicts with my libc6, so there is nothing I can do.

> How do I persuade my apt programs to work again, as I am fed up of
> downloading individual packages that turn out to have
> interdependencies that are too difficult to solve with dpkg?

Er generally you just do as it says,

apt-get -f install

and it will magically figure it out, unless things have become so tangled
that a solution is not apparent [this is really rare though]. In that case
you must add packages to install by hand after the 'install' until things
are better.

Sounds to me like you just need to install libc6 and libdb2.

Jason