Writing scripts and online support

Hi all.. this isn't debian specific, but I'll ask this of you because only
smart people use debian.. right? :)

Anyhow, I want to learn how to do basic scripts to perform tasks, as well
as getting to learn cron and similar daemons.. aside from going out and
buying a few perl books (which I intend to someday) are there any good
online sources for basic script writing?

I ask this because I need to write basic scripts for renaming a number of
files and to perform tasks which I will be going often..

For instance, I would like to rename some wav files to 01.wav, 02.wav
etc. and renaming 01-A_Wav.wav and 02-Another_Wav.wav to 01.wav and 02.wav
seems tedious. I know a simple script file could do this.

Anyhow, I know there must be a decent resource list for script writing,
and am curious what people suggest are the best places to look. Thanks
guys!

JP