RE: ODP: Printer configuration on debian

On 10-Oct-2000 Mariusz.Przygodzki@WAW1.siemens.pl wrote:
> did you install an additional package cups-bsd ?

I just setup my HP deskjet with CUPS from woody.  Read
/usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.txt.gz

All I did was run the lpadmin cmd as root.  In your case try:

/usr/lib/lpadmin -p StColor -m stcolor.ppd -v parallel:/dev/lp0 -E

This sets up the printer on the first parallel port(lp0) uses the EPSON Stylus
Color driver which comes with CUPS and gives the printer the name StColor.
I also added my normal user account to the lpadmin group which might be a
security hole.  You can then administer the printer using a browser by:
http://localhost:631/

Now I have a question, a stupid one of course. When I use the CUPS web
interface the first page is displayed OK as http://localhost:631/.  If I click
on any of the links then the browser tries to load the page by substituting my
hostname(cumulus) for localhost.  This workstation is behind a firewall so it
doesn't have a true domain.

/etc/hosts is:
127.0.0.1 localhost
192.168.1.3 cumulus

/etc/hostname is:
cumulus

192.168.1.3 is the NIC's static IP.

Is the web browser pulling 'cumulus' from /etc/hostname?

How do I tell it that 192.168.1.3 and 127.0.0.1 are the same machine?  Am I
misunderstanding or are *nix hostname really hostnames per IP?

scott

E-Mail: sworley@houston.rr.com
Date: 10-Oct-2000
Time: 08:45:49