Installing Debian on new HD from within Debian - how?

I have bought a new hard drive and I want to install Debian on it.  It
should be possible, to mount the new drive in a subdirectory of my
existing root partition, and do a new install on this subdirectory.
Unfortunately the installation manual doesn't give this as an option.

Of course, I could create rescue disk, root disk etc, then reboot from
these and install the new HD that way, but it seems a clumsy way of
doing it given I have a working Debian installation already.

Has anyone done what I am suggesting should be able to be done?  Can
anyone point me to a HOWTO or something?

Thanks,

Mark.

P.S. I'm currently not subscribed to debian-user (with my new disk I
should have enough space to resubscribe!) so could people please cc a
copy of any replies directly to me.  Thanks.

--