Re: Broadcast2000 on Debian?

On Mon, Oct 09, 2000 at 11:32:39AM +0200, Erik van der Meulen wrote:
> Does anyone know if Broadcast2000
> (http://heroine.linuxave.net/bcast2000.html) is available as a Debian
> package? The site allows for download of a RedHat .rpm, but I am not
> very comfortable with the installation of .rpm's on Debian.
> Also there is an option for a source download.

i don't know but if not you can do this:

alien -t bcast.rpm
tar -zxvpf bcast.tar.gz
pick apart the various files and install them into /usr/local.

> Does anyone have any positive experience with any of those options?

as of yet i have not ever needed to really do this but its the best
way to do it IMO.  installing random .rpms (even if converted to
.debs) seems like a hideous idea to me.

course i may just be pedantic, i once tried out vmware and insisted on
manually installing everything without using their obfuscated perl
install scripts.  i did get it working though, the main thing that
took so long was i made a very large effort to force it to run without
root privileges, unfortunatly i was not sucessful on that part.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/